Integrated Resource Planning (IRP) Division of CEA is responsible for formulating the National Electricity Plan, Power Procurement Planning, Capacity Addition Planning, assessing requirement of Equipment and Material for Development of Power Sector, and providing Inputs for Accelerated Development of Power Sector in the Country. Traditionally, to prepare its National Electricity Plan (NEP), CEA used to run its generation expansion simulations through its legacy software known as EGEAS, which was procured during the 1990s.
Therefore, in order to procure a modern comprehensive national level planning software, CEA published an ICB tender in December 2016. After detailed technical evaluation, Mercados Energy Markets India Private limited (Mercados EMI) was the only bidder whose proposal was found to be technically responsive.
Mercados EMI successfully implemented its comprehensive energy system planning software “ORDENA®” and it is operational at CEA since March 2017. ORDENA® is deployed to fulfil the following objectives of CEA:
- Generation Expansion Planning Studies- for Long-term (LT), Medium term (MT) and Short Term (ST) to meet the peak demand and electrical energy requirement.
- System Reliability Analysis- Carry out system reliability analysis based on outages and maintenance of generating units.
- Production Cost Analysis- Optimize total system cost with given set of constraints.
- Environment Emissions Compliance and Planning- Perform Environment Emissions Compliance for adoption of new/different technologies to meet emission regulations.
- Plant Life Management Analysis- Perform Plant Life Management Analysis such as retirement of old/existing units, up-gradation of units etc.
- Transportation Optimization of Fuels- Perform Transportation Optimization of Fuels considering the type of fuel and transportation of the same to corresponding generating units.
- Integration of Renewable Energy Sources with grid- Integrate the renewable capacity addition of various non dispatchable technology types like wind, solar etc.
ORDENA® was used to validate the results simulated by the EGEAS software for generation expansion plan under the National Electricity Plan, which was notified in January 2018. Major Studies Carried out by CEA using ORDENA® are listed as below:
National Electricity Plan (FY17 – FY22)
- Generation Expansion Planning Studies of Indian System up FY27.
- Validation of results of National Electricity Plan.
- Included National Level model : 2500+ Gencos : 1000+ T/M Nodes : 250+ Utilities.
- Detailed Thermal Plant Modelling- ramping rates, operating points, fuel consumption, outages, costs.
- Detailed HEP Modelling (RoR, Reservoir, PSP): ramping rates, storage cycle, outages, costs
- Monte Carlo Simulation for renewables, units/line outages.
Technical Feasibility Study of Battery Energy Storage in A&N Islands
- Long-term panning study of economic cost-benefit analysis for optimally selecting and sizing a BES.
- Strategies with respect to capacity investments for meeting the adequacy requirements,
- Short-term economic dispatch with the BES under various demand scenarios.
- Hourly operation of the microgrid by load leveling and increasing the storage reserves.
- Technical feasibility of microgrid operation with respect to energy discharge patterns.
Study on Capacity Mix for Absorbing Maximum Solar Power in the Grid for 2030
- Study of Indian Grid of 2030 to analyse maximum solar absorption with optimal Energy Storage Sizing.
- Optimal sizing of Solar and associated storage BES for grid balancing.
- Detailed hourly dispatch analysis to observe charging/discharging patterns of BES.
- Flexibility analysis of thermal power plants with high RE influx in 2030 scenario.
- Scenario analysis with varying demand/RE patterns for curtailment avoidance in the grid.